Moving into a care home can be both an exciting and an emotional time for residents and their families. It’s a time to embrace new beginnings, meet new people and experience new activities and it’s also a time to leave a place that, for some of our residents, has been called home for many years. When making the decision, there is a lot to think about so we have listed a few questions and a small guide below, to help you when deciding to move into one of our care homes.
Do I have to make an appointment to look around the home?
Our doors are always open and our staff are on hand to help. The home manager will be pleased to supply any information you may need. It is always advisable to check that the home manager will be there when you visit by giving us a ring dropping us an email.
Can I take mums laundry home with me?
It is totally your choice we do have a laundry facilities on site however some people do choose to take laundry home and that’s fine. We do ask if we can discreetly label clothing to minimise any confusion and we can help with this process.
Can I bring my budgie?
We do support people who have pets and where possible we would strive to accommodate. We would need to discuss this on an individual basis.
Can I still Skype my family in Canada?
Yes all of our services offer WiFi and staff will offer every assistance.
Can my dad have a newspaper delivered?
Yes, we use a local newsagents and they deliver every day.
Do I have to join in with planned activities?
No, it is totally your choice we know that not all activities are everyones cup of tea. Our Lifestyle Supporter will talk with you and organise things that are important to you such as hobbies you like or sport, crafts or interests you like to take an interest in.
Are there any essential items I should think about bringing with me to the care home?
- Firstly, we will need to ensure we understand your medications. We recommend a 2 week supply when you arrive. After that we can take care of further supplies of your medications.
- Also don’t forget your spectacles!
- Any mobility aids you use.
- Think about things you use everyday.
- Daytime clothing, including your favourite clothes but don’t forget the essentials, socks, stockings, underwear, coats/jackets. We recommend enough changes of clothes for two weeks.
- Gardening/arts and crafts clothing – items you don’t mind getting messy or that you like to wear when cooking or carrying out your hobbies.
- Lose clothing – particularly if you like to take part in our wellbeing and fitness exercises or perhaps like to do a little dancing!
- We recommend at least three sets of night clothes and a dressing gown.
- Don’t forget your favourite slippers!
- At least two pairs of shoes to go out in.
- Don’t think that because you are moving into a care home that you do not need anything nice to dress up in – we have plenty of evening events including dinners, dances and parties in the home!
- Think about your home comforts, photos, books, ornaments, your computer, electronic reader or tablet, chargers, writing materials or items that you need for your hobbies in life. A favourite cushion, chair or even if you want to bring your own television, that huge TV for the match!
- And don’t forget your mobile phone if you use one.
- We also recommend packing toiletries that you are used to using. The familiar products and smells will help you to feel more at home.
What if I forget something?
Don’t worry! We can take you out shopping, contact your family or friends or even if you fancy something you don’t usually need or have, we can look into that as well. We are here to help!
If you have any other questions or would like to discuss any of our services or care with a person, please complete the Contact Us form and we will get straight back in touch.